Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Untitled"

The days of Mani Ratnam craze... Alaipaayuthey... Kannathil Muthamittaal... I have seen the former movie quite a lot of times.. The latter, only once - and that very solitary time I saw the movie, it moved me. The thought of the pathetic lives of "War prisoners" and the song "Vidai kodu endhan naadae" impacted me more than I could ever explain... That very night, I sat up to write this piece... I have never shown it to anyone all these years.. I was digging my shelf this morning for a book and ended up pulling out the scratch of paper on which I wrote this poem... I have not titled it. I thought I better not do. It is a personal, abstract feeling and I didn't want to exploit it anymore....

"Whale in a pond" - Odd isn't it?
So small a territory
- though same the inmates!
So strange a world
- though same the livings!
So are we - odd better!!
To where do we belong?
"Men of no land" - better said...

War at home - the "hunt" for peace...
The pursuit ended in more havoc!
More chaos - in where we landed...
Panicking, running for lives...
Fearing to be "Prisoners of war"
We are "Prisoners for survival"!!!

The world we live in,
The faces we see...
Caught for mortem -
Our lives and our thoughts!
So pleasing to hear "Rights"...
So meek to have none...!
To where do we belong?!

Where no one lives except with fear? or...
Where everyone lives except with rights??
Let us... Our posterity??
"Generation - Prisoners" are we...??
A better option - "to die"
Than "to live dead"!!

1 comment:

sb said...

hey tht was a good one sri!

"Where no one lives except with fear? or...
Where everyone lives except with rights??
Let us... Our posterity??.."

profound xpressions.. n yeah, its vry saddenin when our own home n motherland is unsafe.. its vry appreciable to have the film fraternity focussin on social issues atleast once in a blue moon.. grt movie - but i wasnt sure wen madhavan's character, a matured n society concerned writer wd evn think of telling a serious, emotional fact to a lil' gal in pre-teens.. tht doesnt seem a good idea at al.. but the theme ws gud..